Most of the weight loss plans promise to lose weight by eating more protein and reducing the intake of carbs. However, if you are trying to lose weight, experts suggest a plant-based diet – that is high in carbs and may be helpful to reduce the weight. On a plant-based diet, a person tends to eat unprocessed and whole foods. If someone wants to eat animal foods, then only a smaller portion is allowed. Here is all you need to know about the best plant-based diet to lose weight.
What is a plant-based diet?
A plant-based diet is also known as a whole food plant-based diet or WFPB diet. The plant-based diet can vary according to the incorporation of animal products into someone’s diet. A person following this diet is allowed to add only a smaller portion of animal products. The main principles of the WFPB diet include:
- This diet emphasizes mainly unprocessed and whole food items.
- It suggests limiting or avoiding the intake of animal products.
- WFPB diet focuses on eating raw vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, seeds, and leafy green vegetables.
- It also focuses on organic food and excludes refined sugars, white flour, and other processed food from the diet.
- This diet is sometimes confused with the vegan diet, which is more restricted as you are not allowed to take the animal products such as seafood or meat. On the other hand, a plant-based diet gives you more freedom to choose these animal products but with limited quantity.
How plant-based diet help produce a calorie deficit?
A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. When you are following a plant-based diet, it may be easier for you to create a calorie deficit with plant foods rather than animal products. These animal products are high in calories like a pound of lean meat approximately contains 600 – 800 calories. This calorie range is much higher than the same amount of beans – which contain almost more than 100 fewer calories.
It is believed that most people consume the same amount of food at meals. So a plant-based diet will help you eat fewer calories while enjoying the same amount of food. It creates a calorie deficit, and as a result, will help you lose weight fast without starving.
Plant-based diet – a rich source of fiber
Fibrous foods promote weight loss because these foods satiate hunger by promoting the feeling of fullness. Instead of reducing your portion sizes, it allows you to eat a sufficient amount of plant-based food. These fibrous foods are also involved in releasing the gut hormone that suppresses hunger. In this way, the fiber works for reducing and controlling your appetite and gives the feeling of fullness.
Foods to eat on a plant-based diet
Usually, eggs, animal protein, and dairy products are consumed as a meal on different diet plans. But when following a plant-based diet plan, animal foods are eaten in smaller quantities. There are plenty of options in a plant-based diet like:
- Fruits such as peaches, apples, bananas, berries, and citrus fruits.
- Vegetables such as peppers, asparagus, beans, chickpeas, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, and all leafy green vegetables.
- Whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, oats, whole-wheat pasta, and barley.
- Besides these foods, all healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil), lentils, pulses, nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds), spices, herbs, unsweetened plant-based milk, tofu, coffee, and tea are allowed in a plant-based or WFPB diet.
- Foods that should be taken in smaller portions include eggs, beef, pork, seafood, and dairy products.
Foods to avoid on the WFPB diet
WFPB diet discourages the processed food. It mainly focuses on eating organic, healthy, fresh, and whole foods. The foods that should be avoided on a plant-based diet include fast food, sugar, sweets, soda, white pasta, white rice, white bread, packaged cereals, chips, crackers, fried food, pastries, cakes, cookies, and processed animal meat products like sausages.
The best plant-based diet for weight loss
Making lifestyle changes can help you lose weight and will have a long-lasting impact on your overall health. A lot of studies have shown that a plant-based diet can help you shed excess pounds. The best plant-based diet plan for weight loss mainly focuses on fibrous food like fruits, leafy green vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, pulses, and beans. A person is also allowed to add a small portion of animal protein, eggs, meat, and other dairy products.
Here is a simple and best plant-based diet plan for weight loss. It provides almost 1500-1600 calories including 40% coming from carbs and 36 grams of fiber.
WFPB or whole food plant-based diet is a type of healthy diet that allows you to eat healthy, fresh, and whole-food by cutting out refined and processed food. This diet is one of the best and fastest ways to lose weight and maintain it.